Celebrate Purim in Magical Jewish Morocco
From Friday 22nd February 2013
Marrakesh - Casablanca - Rabat - Meknes - Fez
6 full days and 5 nights - luxury hotels - with extended options
Jewish life in Morocco began in antiquity and legends relate about the settlement of Jews in Biblical times.
Evidence shows the existence of Jews in Morocco in the early centuries of the Common Era. Jews lived there with the Berbers long before the Muslim Arabs conquered North Africa. They succeeded in converting several Berber tribes and in establishing a powerful community. Under Arab rule Jewish life underwent ups and downs. A period of decline starting in the 14th century was followed by a flourishing era with the arrival of the Jews expelled from Spain. An exciting and interesting meeting of the local and the Sephardi Jews led to religious and cultural clashes. Morocco became a centre of mysticism and a haven for the conversos. While Jews lived in their special quarters, the mellahs [ghettos], they developed a rich and fascinating way of life. From the 18th century European influence affected deeply Jewish life and with the establishment of the French protectorate the Jews of Morocco underwent a serious transformation. Our visit will concentrate on the remains of fascinating Jewish past and besides sites of general historical interest. Israeli’s with Moroccans descent represent over 1,000,000 people now and contribute greatly to the Jewish state. The trip will examine the history, religion, culture, folklore and customs of Moroccan Jewry.
OUR EXCEPTIONAL GUIDE RAFI ELMALEH
Returned from Israel to live in Casablanca A Moroccan Jewish tour guide specialising in the 2000 year old history of Morocco’s Jews. Rafi is at the forefront of an effort to preserve Morocco’s Jewish heritage and keep the memory of former Jewish Moroccan communities alive. You will learn and see his efforts on the trip through his relentless search through Jewish sites around the country and his discovery of numerous exciting artefacts which is displayed in the Casablanca Jewish museum he has created. In fact, it is the only Jewish museum in the Arab world. A captivating speaker, he enthrals his listeners with remarkable stories and inspirational anecdotes. He is very entertaining and makes the tour a joyful and rewarding experience.
Day 1 Friday 22nd February 2013 - Marrakech after arrival at our lovely Ksar Anika Riad in the Mellah Jewish quarter a buffet lunch awaits us followed by visit to the Bahia Palace, Synagogue and cemetery once home to a thriving community thereafter walk to the world famous Djemaa El Fna square and Medina - Wonderful shabbos meal in Riad
Day 2 Shabbat 23rd: Attend Synagogue services near Riad followed by lunch and free day and afternoon stroll planned visiting the famous Mamouna Hotel with evening Megillah reading at the other shul in the new town
Day 3 Sunday 24th: Leave for Casablanca for tour of street of 7 shuls kosher bakery Jewish museum Beth el Synagogue plus optional visit to Hassan 11 Mosque on the Corniche - Staying at the fabulous twin towers Kenzi Towers hotel with diner at the Kosher club lamb baked in the oven a speciality - Communual Purim Seuda with the Rabbi
Day 4 Monday 25th: We leave Casablanca to travel up the coast to the capital Rabat view its shul where the mellah was its Portuguese port and the shrines of the Moroccan kings - on the way to Meknes another of the Imperial Cities to see its Mellah labelled with Jewish names once containing 11 Synagogues before visiting the famous royal stables once home to 15,000 Arabian kings horses. Arrive Barcello Hotel Fez - Then Diner Max kosher restaurant Day 5 Tuesday 26th - We spend the day in Fez visiting the extraordinary Jewish cemetery in the Mellah, hear the legend of Salika visit the Ibn Dayan shul and mikva plus Maimonides house. We then walk through the biggest medina in the world, home to the first University and visit the famous tannery which is an assault on the senses
Day 6 Wednesday 27th: We leave Fez for long trip back to Marrakesh for flight home by way of the cedar woods and the Atlas mountain range with many interesting stops including feeding the famous monkeys
TOTAL COST FOR TRIP:- Not including flights which must be booked by yourselves Full 6 day 5 night luxury accommodation kosher trip is £895 pp sharing a room – single room supplement £195
Flights recommended to book are EasyJet Gatwick to Marrakesh Flight 8893 at 7.40am and then return on No 8896 at 20.00 landing Gatwick at 23.45 - Extension options from the 27th February at the Marrakesh Ksar Anika Riad from Thursday evening at an extra cost of £120 per room per night including breakfast – kosher meals and transport in addition dependent on needs
SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE RATES
· Full board kosher meals when available or vegetarian and sandwiches when we are on road - Superb 5* Hotels
· Transportation with deluxe A/C transportation throughout the program & guide throughout
· Entrance fees to the monuments museums and all guide costs except Hassan II Mosque 120 DH / pp optional trip In Casablanca
SERVICES INCLUDED IN THE ABOVE RATES
· Welcome & assistance at Mohamed V airport by ACCESS HOLIDAYS AND EVENTS staff.
· Hotel accommodation based on BB according to your program.
· Transportation with deluxe A/C bus 15 seats as per program for 10-14 pax
· Transportation with bus 36 seats starting from 15 participants
· Professional English speaking guide through the tour
· Entrance fees to the monuments except Hassan II Mosque 120 DH / pp
· Porter age and tips at the hotels
· Our complete and full assistance
· Lunch in Ksar Anika on February,22nd
· Diner in Ksar Anika on Shabbat February,22nd
· Shabbat Lunch at Ksar Anika on February,23rd Shabbat
· Buffet at Madame Aharon after Purim megilah reading
· Kosher Lunch Box from Mme Ohayon on February,24th
· Diner at the Jewish club in Casablanca February,24th inc’ Purim services with show
· Kosher Lunch box on the way to Fes February,25th
· Kosher Dinner at Maimonides Club Chez Max on February,25th
· Vegetarian Lunch in La Medina restaurant on February,26th or Kosher sandwich Maimonides
· Kosher diner at Maimonides club Chez Max on 26th Feb
· Kosher lunch box on way from Fes to Marrakech February,27th
· Kosher dinner box on way to airport in Marrakech February,27th
|CITY||Hotels & Riads||Night|